Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, an Australian community, in a worldwide religious congregation.
Jesus loved with a human heart: with him we proclaim his love to the world.
We work to discover through advocacy, healing and reconciliation, God's presence in our world.
We are to be on earth the heart of God. God has no other heart but ours.
- Published: Friday, 01 November 2013 14:20
Formation Process for the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart
There are three stages of formation.
Stage 1: Pre-Noviate
This stage begins in early February and finishes in late October.
The Pre-Novitiate Formation House, St Joseph's, is in Willoughby and falls within the Catholic Parish of the Lower North Shore.
What does it involve?
It is firstly an experience of community life with the MSC's.
Where the community shares morning prayer and meals together.
It also involves:
- An initial three day retreat
- Pastoral placement
- Meeting a wide variety of Australian MSC ministry and places - and a study of MSC Australian and Pacific history.
- Journal writing and reflecting on Pastoral placement
- Introduction to Heart Spirituality
- Learning different styles of Personal Prayer
- Images of Jesus
- Introduction to Spirituality and Sexuality
- Participation in the Kairos initial formation program, February to June, which covers a broad introduction to religious life, and is a program with various other religious congregations in the Sydney area.
- Preparing for the transition to the Novitiate
Stage 2: Novitiate
The Novitiate begins on the first Friday of November and goes for nearly 13 months and therefore finishes just before Christmas the following year.
This is a quieter time of prayer and deeming ones' sense of God and relationship to Jesus.
An initial 10 day retreat
- reflecting on the MSC Constitutions of our Spirit, Life and Mission
- Learning about the Vows of Obedience, Evangelical Poverty and Consecrated Celibacy
- Experiencing the Ignatian Exercises (30 day Retreat)
- A wilderness experience, time camping in the bush
- and a six week immersion experience into a poor community for pastoral work
At the end of the Novitiate the Novice takes temporary vows, for either one, two or three years.
Stage 3: Studies
Theological Studies are undertaken at the Yarra Theological Union (YTU) in Melbourne.
Students and Brothers will be engaged in pastoral work.
During this time students and Brothers will also take Final Vows with the MSC's.
For students for the priesthood:
The student is able to study between 4 to 6 years in preparation for the priesthood.
When studies are completed the student is ready to be ordained to the Diaconate and will then be placed in a pastoral setting full time (usually a Parish).
After about six months or so the Deacon will be ordained a Priest.
Formation in the initial stage is the same as for students for the priesthood, with the completing a Bachelor of
Theology or a certificate level.
As well this, they will underake professional studies or trade in another ministerial field.